Tuesday, June 06, 2006

 

Oh, how I loooove to pack!

Phew, what a day!

First of all, good news! Last night Martha called her bank in Canada and the money has arrived safe and sound in the bank account! Yay! I guess we didn't get swindled after all! Sighs of relief all round!

Today we dropped Audrey off at the childminders and spent the day at home tackling the packing. I was worried that maybe all that complaining I've done right here on this blog about having no motivation to pack in the evenings was actually going to be exposed as complete lack of motivation to pack at all no matter what the time of day. Thankfully I was wrong. I was well up for packing, and we made a good dent in it. There's still a ton of it to do, and we don't have any more days like today where Audrey is going to be looked after by someone else while we get on. Things could therefore get really tricky from here on in!

Anyway, I also got an email from my sister-in-law today asking me to post some answers to some pertinent moving to another country style questions in a meme stylee, and I'm only too happy to oblige! Here goes...

Upon moving to Canada, you will find yourself missing what from the U.K:

1. What food (main course or dessert or snack)
I think most meals can be equally well prepared in Canada as here so even if I do miss something I'll probably be able to make it or find a suitable substitute. It may take some product testing though but that's half the fun. If you have to put me on the spot though I think proper fried fish and chips would be hard to beat.

2. What drink
Again, I can probably find good substitutes for my favourites (I've already tried and tested some iced teas in Canada!). I will miss the variety of beers though - I like being able to walk into a pub in the UK and find weird and wonderful beers on tap just begging to be sampled.

3. What place
I will miss my parents house. At the end of the day it's "home" - I grew up there and it's a special place for me.

4. What restaurant
Am I allowed two? I'll miss the Haywaggon at Churchover of course, but I'll also miss the Ocean Chinese Restaurant in Henley in Arden.

5. What hobby
Hopefully I can still continue to persue my existing hobbies. PSB record collecting might become a tad more difficult, but hopefully with a computer I can order most of the stuff I want. I will miss the neolithic history here...I loved driving out to ancient stone circles and burial chambers. I don't think Canada *does* those!

6. In general, what about England will you miss the most (aside from family and friends)
Hmm tricky. I'll miss the BBC - having a TV station with no commercials is quite a luxury, and I'll miss *some* of the programmes, but certainly not many of them.

7. What will you regret that you never did in England
Biggest regret (if that's what you call it) has always been being unable to keep our first house when we bought our second one. I would have (and COULD have) let it out and sold it at a tidy profit several years ago which would have made me and my family much more financially stable. Mind you, if we had been allowed to do that, the chances are we wouldn't be moving to Canada.

8. What will you tell Audrey about your growing up in England
I'll tell her how wonderful it was growing up in England - really it was. We had a huge garden to explore and once we were done with that there were fields behind it for even more exploring! She'll hear all about the history of the country too. I do realise there is a lot England has to offer in that respect and hopefully it'll make her proud of her roots.

9. What are you looking forward to the most about living in Canada
Tough one. I can only really say what I hope to find, not what I will find. Hopefully we will find a slightly more relaxed pace of life. I still want to work to pay the bills etc, but I don't want to have to worry about every last dime. We'd been fortunate that up until a few years ago we had that lifestyle here, but we started to feel the pinch and financially things started to get out of control. I want a clean slate and I don't want to allow that to happen again. If we're REALLY lucky we might even be able to start out with a house and no mortgage - now that really would be something!

10. What are you looking forward to the least about living in Canada (again, can't say family & friends)
I'm not looking forward to finding a new job. I have no idea what I want to do which really isn't a good starting point is it? However, I can turn my hand to most things, and I'm happy to muck in with the crappy work too, so I may not be too picky to start off with. I know I wont like the REALLY hot weather and the REALLY cold weather...tell me who does? However, I prefer the certainty of the seasons rather than the perpetual rain we seem to get here. I'm sure I'll find plenty that frustrates me, and no doubt I'll be vocal about it on my blog.

Comments:
Glad to hear your money is safe. Cool list of things you will miss. Every Septmeber when it gets to be 100 degrees my hubby and I always talk about what we miss about our perspective towns.
 
I am so pleased to hear that your $$$ made it safely to its new home! You can cross that concern off your list.

I have been so swamped with my own little local move -- I can't imagine what you are going through! You are very brave to make such a major move. Good luck with the rest of your packing -- I know how daunting a task that can be.
 
Whew! What a relief to know that your money was alright!

I let out a sigh of relief upon reading that. I had been wondering if everything went through for that.

When did you plan to be moved to Canada?
I'm sure you probably already mentioned it (possible dozens of times) but I can't seem to recall...
 
Good to hear that your money arrived in one piece. As regards the job, I arrived in London with no job (or accommodation for that matter), yet something decent came along 3 days later. It sounds like you have a healthy attitude to what work you'll take in the short term, I'm sure you'll be fine.
 
That's really cool, Gabby. I can just see you and G starting sentences with the phrase "well back in Britain..." --in the same way that I and probably Martha does about Canada! "oooh, it's just not the same here, is it?" will be part of many a conversation I tell ya! Canuckleheads will be sick of hearing that! :)

Good luck with the packing and I'm glad you guys are "free agents" now that you've been pretty much emancipated from work (for the time being--don't get *too* used to it!)
 
Hope it all goes smoothly for you and family, I think you are quite adventurous moving to another country. I suppose it helps that you already have some friends and family there.
 
That is a huge move... all the very best to you.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?