Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Musings of Moving

Well, it's back to earth with a thud after the long weekend.

Someone needs to kick me into touch though - I'm still lacking any motivation to pack our gear for the move... it's not that I don't want to - I really, really do, but I just have no energy in the evenings to do it.

We are making small amounts of progress though. I've made some enquiries about packing some of our more fragile items, and Martha did some research into how we transfer our medical records. While we were waiting for the concert to start on Monday I pulled out my blogging notepad and we scribbled a list of the large items we're taking. Once you get through the obvious stuff you start to focus more on the items that are more likely to get overlooked, so that was a useful exercise I think. A mate of mine who has moved to the USA also told me about contacting the Inland Revenue about tax implications. He made it sound fairly straightforward, so fingers crossed that it will be!

One of our biggest worries about the move is jobs. Martha and I will not have work to go to when we move (unless something miraculously comes up in the next month or so) and therefore we'll be putting ourselves at the mercy of anyone who will pay us a wage. I've thought this might be a good opportunity for a complete change of career, but I really don't know. I've never been hugely ambitious or enthused about any particular line of work - I wasn't one of those kids who always said they wanted to be an astronaut or a train driver.

Probably my biggest ambition has been to own and run a "fleapit" cinema which would screen less mainstream movies. It's not going to make me a millionaire, and I think the financial investment in such a property and the equipment would be rather huge, but it's probably the closest I'm ever likely to admit for a dream job - that and pop star of course!

Anyway, beggars can't be choosers, so I'll take what work I can get and hopefully be on the lookout for something a bit more exciting after that. I feel a bit annoyed that I've never once put my English degree to any use since I left University and it'd be nice to maybe do something that would fire me up in that respect too.

Give it a couple of months after our arrival and I'll probably be begging for work on my blog!

Heck, why wait - if anyone knows of any good work or placements in SW Ontario for a freelance Mac artworker (Martha) and a deluded English graduate with 12 years experience in worldwide logistics (yours truly) let me know!


Comments:
Have you searched for jobs online? We found my husbands current job online and are very pleased. Hotjobs.com or Monster.com are pretty big. It might give you some ideas at least. You have probably already done this being as organized as you are but I thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

I can't imagine a move of this size. It's hard enough moving from one state to another let alone across the ocean!
 
OGO - Actually we haven't started searching at all - until my visa arrived we thought nobody in Canada would take a British jobseeker seriously, and now I have my visa I'm too worked up about getting everything else done! I don't feel remotely organised! Thanks for pointing me at some useful sites though - I'll certainly be using the web to look for work as and when I get the opportunity!
 
I wish you all the best in the plan to change your life! I'm sure it will work out better than before! HHNT
 
Good luck ;) HHNT
 
I agree with OGO .. check out Workopolis.ca or Monster.ca, you might be able to find something. Toronto would probably be your best bet just because of its size. Although you never know what you could find in Waterloo or Hamilton. Wish I could help more but unfortunately both Scott & I are engineers/scientists and we don't deal with artsies like yourselves ;)
 
Barefoot_Mistress - Thanks for the well wishes...I plan to return to HNT as soon as I can.

Crimson - Thank you!

Scott & Julia - Hmm, Toronto isn't too appealing to either of us to be honest...but if we can't find something a little more out of the city that may be our best choice. I remember you engineering types from my year at Waterloo - you didn't seem to mind sharing a few beers with us artsies then! ;-p
 
Gabby, either regret doing it or regret not doing it. I'd much sooner regret not doing it.

For what it's worth, I left my husband and decided 'sod it, I have nothing to lose, I'm off to London'. I had nowhere to live and no job, within 2 days of moving to London I had both. I didn't stay in either place long, but it was a stepping stone. 7 years later I'm still here and it was the best decision I ever made. Moral of the tale - just f*cking do it.

Hope the fleapit cinema dream comes true for you!
 
Sorry, in my sleep deprived state I meant sooner regret doing it than not doing it. It's been a v v v long day, working for British democracy!
 
Ann - I hear you loud and clear...the decision is made so there's no going back. I wont regret this decision even if it all goes horribly wrong, because I'd hate to have just stayed where I am now and wondered about "what if...". I know there's lots of friends and family who will support us as much as they can until we can stand on our own feet. If I get that cinema you've GOT to come visit and see a movie!
 
You're on, I'll hold you that!

I'm really really really going to start packing now, bearing in mind we leave at 4am and it's now 11:30pm!
 
I hear you about Toronto. We've only managed to get out of there about a year ago and it was the best thing we've ever done. We love our small town! Let us know where you end up and we'll be more than happy to share a few beers :)
 
Good Luck in everything! :)
 
Ann - Hope you have a grrrrrrreat trip....and got packed in time!

Scott & Julia - We'd prefer a small town existence if we can help it. Martha grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere, and I grew up in a small village, so neither of us are towny folk especially. We'll be sure to let you know where we end up!

Bellarosa - Thank you, and sorry there was no HNT for you to see!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?