Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Real Audio Disc (RAD) versus Digital Audio File Transfer (DAFT)

Am I the only one who thinks that this news story is garbage?

OK, so a record went to No.1 in the UK singles chart based on downloads alone because it hasn't actually been released yet (it was released on CD yesterday). Big deal.

Any single that went straight into the No.1 spot in the past 6 months probably would have had that priviledge had it been released as a download prior to being released on CD. It all rather reeks of a manufactured ruse of some kind, and BBC Radio 1 are taking all the credit for it because they apparently "used" this song first! Oh you're so "cutting edge" Radio 1 - *yawn*!

It's not that I mind the song that much but personally I think the download chart and the CD singles charts should be kept separate to put a stop to this sort of nonsense. They are after all completely different mediums.

It's not big and it's not clever.

Comments:
I know what you mean and I agree.
 
Yeah, you're right it is a bag of shite. Then again, I recall there being a similar hoo-har about Dire Straits being the first album to be released on CD about 20 years ago. Or something.
 
MyUtopia - Phew...thank goodness I'm not going "Crazy"

Ann - I don't recall the thing with Dire Straits, although I can imagine there being a similar hoo-har as you say. I also remembered today that the Gnarls Berkley song is also one of those tracks with the fake "vinyl crackle" on it which I love so, so much! NOT!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?