Wednesday, April 12, 2006

 

I'd rather Jack than Fleetwood Mac

Here's an interesting little fact.

So, the Union Jack flag is 400 years old, and what does it mean to me?

I'm not sure really. I'm proud of my Britishness but not to the point of fanaticism.

When I first went to the USA and Canada it was quite surprising to see how many people had their national flags planted proudly in their front gardens or on top of their houses. It shows your pride for your nation, your place of birth and your heritage and everything that it stands for.

You simply don't get that here because the Union Jack flag has become an icon for fascism and race hate. The term "There Ain't No Black In The Union Jack" just completely undermines any ounce of pride I have in my Britishness and we all end up having to hide any outward show of pride in case we are assumed to be racists.

St.George's Day is also just around the corner and throws up similar issues over being English. With the World Cup football just a couple of months away there will doubtless be a glut of St.George cross flags flying from motor cars and houses as our boys try to win the cup. Football aside though, I think you're probably more likely to get your head kicked in if you fly that flag in Scotland or Ireland, yet we don't have any problem flying the Scottish and Irish flags proudly on their respective Saints days. And if there are any Welsh people reading, we don't care about you in the slightest! (calm down, I'm just kidding!)

I'm guessing England, and Britain as well, has become a victim of its own "success" (I use that term loosly) having once stomped across the world to create a vast empire which has led to us being reviled rather than revered by those countries that became a part of it. It didn't work for the Romans, so why should it be any different for us?

Maybe there is a lesson to be learned here as we turn our gaze from Iraq to Iran, and contemplate whether to extend the American/British reach into yet another oil rich country.

If we're still picking at the scabs of old wounds, is it really a good idea to create new ones?

Comments:
That's sad.
 
Can't we all just get along? *wink wink*
 
Not much 'great' about Britain anymore except our taxes, and that's not in the 'great' I love chocolate sense, more the 'great' I trod in dog crap sense.
 
MyUtopia - It's my personal take on it...there are doubtless some Brits who take a different view.

OGO - We get along don't we? I just think it's silly how something like a flag can symbolise such hatred...I suppose it might as well be a swastika!

Serai - I love chocolate...I might have to hold that thought to get rid of the negativity in my post!
 
good post. its something which i find very sad. i'm cornish and english i'm proud of both, yet its apparently cool to be cornish and show the flag but not the union jack or the george cross.

having lived abroad for many years i have a lot more pride in being 'british'. not because i think we are 'better' in anyway but because i see others with dubious pasts being proud of their countries NOW and i think despite the fuckwittage our governments are engaged in we as english or whatever should unite and be proud of our flag our selves and our rich heritage.

i fly whatever i like. and i am proud of my roots. we should all be, even if they are rotten, as long as we strive to learn and improve.
 
It really irritates me all this flag waving, especially round football tournaments. I find that having lived abroad, we're not all that, other countries do things (such as the health service) *much* better than we do.

OGO and Gabby are making much of the fact they are "getting along" - is there anything going on worth gossipmongering about here??!!
 
Keda - I've noticed a lot of Scottish and Irish people complaining about the Union Jack and its symbolism. When you think that we come under the name the UNITED Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, you wonder whether people should focus more on being United than anything else. Sure, they canbe proud to be Scottish, so would I be, as do many Americans, Canadians etc, but these people are also equally proud to be American and Canadian, so why can't Scots/Irish folk be also proud to be British?

Ann - I agree about "we're not all that". I think the flag waving at football tournaments just about sums it up for me. I don't mind being a flag waver but I don't want to be lumped with the footie crowd so I don't bother.

Re OGO - Shh, don't tell CaCaBoy!
 
I've never seen the Union Jack as a symbol of fascism. Maybe it has something to do with my musical preferences, but seeing it makes me want to listen to The Who.
 
Mark - It's a whole different perspective. Mind you if my memory serves The Who had a bit of a following from the sort of types I am referring to. I'm happy to stand corrected and I'm sure The Who wouldn't want to be remotely associated with that sort of fascist movement, but there's this little nagging voice in my head telling me there is a connection.
 
It's been so long since I have been at the center of a rumor. I'm not sure what to do. Do I deny, deny, deny? Or do I keep silent. Which would work best?
 
OGO - Deny everything! ;-)
 
What?! I'm gone two weeks, TWO WEEKS! And this? THIS?! Gabby you've got some explaining to do!
 
CaCaBoy - Uuum, Urrrr....ahem *DENY EVERYTHING GABBY. DENY EVERYTHING!*
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Oooh I think the lady and gentleman doth protest too much...!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?