Friday, April 07, 2006

 

Friday memage from Debo-rah-rah!

I guess I'm on a bit of a meme kick lately...I promise I'll do something with some substance soon!

Go to
Wikipedia. Type in your birth date (but not year). List three events that happened on your birthday, two important birthdays and one interesting death. Post this in your journal.

Events
1939 - Canada declares war on Nazi Germany.
1967 - The people of Gibraltar vote to remain a British dependency rather than becoming part of Spain.
1977 - Last execution by Guillotine in France. Hamida Djandoubi, convicted for torture and murder, was executed at Baumettes Prison in Marseille. (1977!!!! Can you believe that?!)

Birthdays - depends on your definition of "important" Deb!
1938 - Karl Lagerfeld, German fashion designer
1957 - Siobhan Fahey, Irish singer (Bananarama and Shakespeare's Sister)

Death - Nobody especially exciting died on my birthday...this is the best I could muster!
1975 - George Paget Thomson, English physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (b. 1892)

Now go away and think about how lucky you are to live in a country where convicted criminals are no longer given the death penalty!

Comments:
That's kinda cool! There are lots of things and people listed. Earnest Hemmingway is on the list of births and I just started reading his book "Farewell to Arms"!
 
Events:
202 BC - The Battle of Zama results in the defeat of Carthage and Hannibal.
1917 - Love Field in Dallas, Texas is opened.
1973 - President Richard Nixon rejects an Appeals Court demand to turn over the Watergate tapes.

Births:
1276 - Prince Hisaaki, Japanese shogun (d. 1328)
1945 - John Lithgow, American actor
1965 - Ty Pennington, American television carpenter

Deaths:
1187 - Pope Urban III
1988 - Son House, American musician (b. 1902)
1992 - Arthur Wint, Jamaican runner (b. 1920)
 
OGO - Yeah another birth for me was Chris Columbus director of the first two Harry Potter movies...Columbus, Hemingway - no comparison really is there?

MyUtopia - Now John Lithgow is someone who I love and loathe in equal quantities. I actually realise he's quite a talented chap, but for some reason I don't really like his "on screen" appearance/presence. Weird, but I just can't pin down why...
 
Events

1952 Abbott and Costello show debuts
1958 Opening of the Preston Bypass
2005 Civil Partnership Act (gay marriages) comes into force in the UK - yay!

Births

1963 Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards
1985 Frankie Muniz

Deaths

1791 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

It still doesn't alter the fact it's always freezing cold on my birthday and people give me birthday and Christmas presents combined (which still pisses me right off!)
 
Ann - Why does everyone else's have much much more exciting stuff than mine? My sisters and Audrey's birthdays are both in mid Dec. and I don't ever combine Xmas and B'day gifts (unless of course it is ONE KICK ASS gift!)
 
I'd give your father a good talking to if I were you, very thoughtless of him!

Good for you for not merging the birthdays and Christmas, I feel sorry for people though whose birthdays are on Christmas Day.
 
Ann - What? Don't you think my mother should shoulder some of the blame too?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?