Thursday, April 06, 2006

 

Come on, put some effort into it!

If you're looking for HNT, it's underneath this post...

The email scammers are just getting lazy now.

I got this in my email today - normally there'd be a big long heartbreaking spiel before getting to the crux of the matter of transferring X-million dollars into my personal bank account.

This one was distinctly short and sweet! Perhaps mercifully so!

With respect,

I am Thomas Michael and My sister Theresa Michael Our parents Mr. and Mrs. David Michael were assassinated here in IVORY COAST. Before my father's death he had SEVEN MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLARS kept in a well concealed trunk box and deposited with a secutity company here in Abidjan.


I want you to do me a favour to receive these funds to a safe account in your country or any safer place as the beneficiary. I have plans to do investment in your country, like real estate and industrial production. This is my reason for writing to you. Please if you are willing to assist me and my only sister, indicate your interest by replying.

Thanks and best regard.

Thomas Michael.


Comments:
I remember finding a website ages ago where this guy got his jollies from replying to these emails, and seeing how long he could string them along and wind them up.

He'd have them stand at airports holding signs with funny names on and stuff. He even flew over to take pics of them, which he duly handed over to the local authorities.

Scammers are like cockroaches, for every one that you see, there are another hundred skulking around out of sight.
 
Serai - I never went to quite those extremes, although that's an excellent idea! I did reply to one or two once just to lead them along a bit - usually along the lines of wanting to negotiate a better split of the booty. I also emailed back telling one how I knew it was a scam and to basically F off, but they insisted on emailing back to try to convince me otherwise! I had some poor woman on the phone to me at work once who had actually fallen for a scam thinking she'd won the Canadian Lottery, and was about to fall for the scam a second time around! I felt awful telling her she'd been taken for a ride. I still can't quite fathom why she called us though - we're a Logistics company!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?