Tuesday, January 31, 2006

 

Happy Birthday Martha!

Today, February 1st, is my wifes birthday!

She's not normally one to make a song and dance about it in public - it was several years after we were married before any of my friends even knew what day it was, simply because she never went out of her way to tell anyone. I also decided to keep my mouth shut in case there was a very good reason for this, but gradually have let it slip, culminating in today - effectively publicising it to the world on my blog! Ha, ha, ha!

I did actually mention to her that I would be submitting a post for her birthday and she didn't kick up a fuss, so I guess it's OK.

I've spent some time trying to come up with words suitable for this entry, and been finding it very difficult. It seems that nothing I can say could ever really come close to conveying my feelings for the woman who I have spent nearly 9 years devoted to in marriage, has given birth to my beautiful daughter, and has put up with me for nearly 15 years in total. That's got to be quite a woman! So where do I start?

Maybe I should tell you about how we met at the University of Waterloo, in Ontario, Canada. How I was actually trying to "help" another guy who was besotted with her to find ways of seeing more of her but finding myself falling in love instead!

No...too confusing a story to write down in words.

OK, maybe I should talk about the long distance relationship that followed which lasted 6 years. How we sent letters to each other almost daily professing our undying love for each other, making plans for our future, finally culminating in the lead up to our wedding.

No...way too much information to write in so small a blog. Plus some of it's pretty "private"!

Alright, how about relating her courage at packing up her belongings and moving to the UK? Now that was impressive. Moving from your home and native land to a new and unusual country for the man you love, with no job to go to, and not even having seen the tiny flea pit of a house you are going to be living in for the foreseeable future.

Uh-uh, as amazing as it was, it's not really birthday story material. Save it for another day!

And how do I even start to condense 8 years of marriage with her, with some of the most awesome memories I shall ever have, 9 months of carrying our child, and two years of bringing our child up, in a short birthday blog?

It can't be done.

We've had our ups, our downs and occasionally complete U-turns. We don't always see eye to eye, but have always found a way to agree, even if it's to agree to disagree. How she puts up with me sometimes I shall never know...I don't always deserve her to be so forgiving.

She's beautiful, intelligent, funny, courageous, sexy, gentle and most of all loving.
So what can I say except

Happy Birthday Martha! I love you!



Comments:
Aww!
Sweet Bday post!

And I add, Happy Birthday Martha!

Deb
 
Happy Birthday Martha!
 
What a great Birthday tribute! I'm sure Martha enjoyed reading it. And Martha - if you're reading this - HAPPY BIRTHDAY my friend! I hope you have had a wonderful, terrific day!!!!
 
Happy (belated now) birthday! What a sweet post. :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?