Wednesday, January 04, 2006

 

Is there anythin' you'd rather be doing than marchin' up and down the square?

I'm not the sort of person who makes New Year resolutions, mainly because I'm very bad at keeping them. I don't think I'm an unreliable person generally, but when it comes to making a promise to yourself to do something, better yourself for the coming year on a daily basis, you might as well ask the cat to do it.

Martha and I have for a while now agreed that since Audrey came along we have not been getting enough exercise. There was a time, BA (Before Audrey), that we would walk four miles every other evening. It gave us a chance to chat and get into shape at the same time. We also used to run - it was short lived, because whilst I never really minded cross country running, Martha wasn't a big fan so that kind of petered out as a form of exercise.

I've never been a big fan of going to a gym - why spend the money when you can just as easily exercise for free at home, so long as you have the motivation and the discipline to do it? And that's where the crux of the matter is...motivation and discipline!

Enter Harvey...who is not, as one blogchum I was chatting to yesterday said, a 6 foot tall rabbit...we're talking Gunnery Sergeant Harvey Walden IV!

This fine chap sprung to fame as the hard taskmaster on a show called Celebrity Fit Club, putting minor celebs who were somewhat overweight through their paces to lose a few of those extra pounds. Not surprisingly what followed was a workout video, which we bought on DVD a year or so ago, and I believe Martha had some success with but never kept the regime going - MOTIVATION AND DISCIPLINE again!

So the other day when Martha and I were discussing the ways we could get ourselves fit in our PA (Post Audrey) days, I remembered that we had this DVD tucked away somewhere and that maybe it would be a good idea to give it a go. Martha agreed, and we decided that, once Audrey was put down to bed each night, we would don some comfortable clothing and do a workout with Harvey as our mentor.

Last night was our first night and it went remarkably well barring my extremely poor coordination - it only took up half an hour of our evening which meant I was still able to watch some TV afterwards and surf and chat online for a while. This morning I didn't find myself unpleasantly achy and hopefully we will continue to do this building up to a full one hour workout over the next few weeks.

I'm hoping that between us, and by telling you out there it will serve as a tool to help with the discipline we need to keep this going. What I guess needs to happen is to find a way to keep going after we're able to do the full one hour workout. I can see it getting rather boring after that otherwise.

Meanwhile the soup diet continues in earnest after the Christmas break. That entails eating only soup for supper (with up to two slices of bread) for three nights a week. It's not a miracle diet - seeing results is slow, but it does work, plus it's quick and easy to make soup and it's great to not have to think about whats for supper for three nights every week.

I guess I should really do a weigh-in and let you all know what I weigh, then do a weekly update...

EDIT: I weighed myself tonight - I am 12 stone and 2 pounds...or 170 pounds exactly.

Are you with me?

Come on guys - give me the motivation and the discipline to do this!

Comments:
Sounds like you two are off to a good start! I know how difficult it is after children to carve out some time to yourself to do ANYTHING, and it's good to see you're doing that to get fit. Good luck, and I'll do what I can to help! Although the thought of DI Harvey still makes me giggle...
 
Lady Amethyst - Day 2 of the workout was a little harder than expected - probably because I suddenly realised how much I ached from yesterdays. Actually DI Harvey is pretty funny anyway even though he shouts a lot - Martha and I have gotten the giggles both nights so far!
 
You can do it!! :) I'm with ya, friend. Still doing my diet, and it's so nice to see results. I'll keep cheering you on too! Have a great day!
 
Tish - Thanks! Day 3 today and I'm actually a little nervous about tonights workout - it seems to get more difficult by the day even though the regime is identical! Weird!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?