Tuesday, December 13, 2005

 

Happy Birthday Audrey!


Two years ago today, December 13th 2003, our daughter Audrey Jane Kagan was born.

Doubtless you can tell from the amount I talk about her here in my blog that she is the biggest joy in my life. Back in university barely months after Martha and I had met, I remember doing a film studies course which looked at religion and philosophy in films, and one major point of note was that of conditional and unconditional love. Even though I understood the concept, at that point in my life I had never known the true feeling of unconditional love and it is only since Audrey came into my life that I now know how that feels. It is truly overwhelming and words can hardly express that feeling of giving love to and receiving love from someone no matter what they are like or what they do. It is an awesome sensation.

Audrey doesn't know it yet (and nor does Martha until she reads this) but she and I have a song - "our" song. It's something that at the time of her birth was apt and I heard quite a lot of, and on more than one occasion at around that time nearly brought me to tears.

A month or so before Audrey was born the Pet Shop Boys released a "Best of" album called "PopArt". Of course, being the fan that I am, I bought the album, and listened to it non-stop for sometime afterwards.
At about the same time they also released a new single called "Miracles" which not only was one of their best songs for a long while, but also touched a nerve with me at a time when our own little miracle was imminent. I remember listening to that song over and over in my car, to and from the hospital after Audrey was born - I was so elated, and the words just seemed to fit right in with my state of mind - nothing could get in the way now that Audrey was here.

Anyway,
I wouldn't normally post the entire lyrics of a song on a blog - if you're anything like me, you don't even bother to read them - but I want to share this as a tribute to my dear daughter. I give you "Miracles", by the Pet Shop Boys.

Happy Birthday Audrey! I love you!

Pet Shop Boys
- Miracles

Clouds drift away
when they see you
Rain wouldn't dare
to fall near you here
Miracles happen
when you're around
Somehow the grass is much greener
Rivers flow faster and cleaner
Being with you
no matter where
sunlight breaks through
and suddenly there's

A bluer sky
whenever you're around
You always bring
a bluer sky
a brighter day

Thunder is silent before you
Roses bloom more to adore you too
Miracles happen
when you're around
The sunset is deeper and longer
The scent of the jasmine is stronger
Stray dogs don't bite
Birds start to sing
Lightening daren't strike
You suddenly bring

A bluer sky
whenever you're around
You always bring
a bluer sky
a brighter day
Birds fly
even higher in the sky
Sun shines
It's a new day

Being with you
no matter where
sunlight breaks through
and suddenly there's

A bluer sky
whenever you're around
You always bring
a bluer sky
a brighter day
(Miracles happen)
Birds fly
even higher in the sky
(Miracles happen)
Sun shines
It's a new day
(Miracles happen)
Sun shines
It's a new day


Comments:
Happy Birthday Audrey! I hope you all have a fun time today! And that's unbelievably sweet, Gabby...children are amazing!
 
Aww Gabby - You're pulling at my heartstrings with this post. How very sweet of you to write it. I hope Audrey has had a wonderful birthday and I know that she will continue to bring you and Martha much happiness. Happy Birthday Audrey!
 
Lady Amethyst - Thanks, they are aren't they!

SS - Thanks also. We had a lovely day!
 
Sooo sweet.

Unconditional love...yes, I think that you don't know the true meaning of it until you have kids.

Happy Birthday, Audrey!
 
Happy birthday Audrey! Sounds like she had a good party and the sentiments of this post are so sweet and loving :-)

I get unconditional love from my rat, think that is the closet I will get to having children!
 
Priya - that's cruically what this course at uni said - unconditional love is something you can really only experience from having kids. Anything else will always be conditional.

Anon - is that Kathryn again? Ah but is your rat love unconditonal? Think about it! I bet you it isn't!
 
Wow, that is some pretty princess you have there!

Can we talk about future options for her and my Dan?

Happy birthday again Audrey sweetheart!

Annette
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?